The Lacan Circle of Australia is an organisation dedicated to training, education and research in the Lacanian orientation. In 2021 we offer an array of activities for trainees, students, scholars and practitioners ranging from foundational to explorations at the forefront of current developments in the field.
Lacan Circle Seminars provide a foundation to the theory and practice of psychoanalysis. Participants explore the fundamentals of Freudian psychoanalysis, the teaching of Lacan, and contemporary developments in the Lacanian orientation.
Winter Semester, 2021
- Winter Webinar: Bodily Cuts Rims and Scraps: Lacan’s Topology. Recording available here
Semester 1, 2021
- The Other Side of Psychoanalysis
- Introduction to Psychoanalysis: Freud
Semester 2, 2020
- The Lacanian Orientation of Jacques-Alain Miller
- The Analytic Act in Lacanian Psychoanalysis
Winter Semester, 2020
- Winter Webinar: Moses and Monotheism. Recording available here
Semester 1, 2020
- Names of The Father
- Clinical Issue in Psychoanalysis
Semester 2, 2019
- The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis
Seminar 1, 2019
- The Direction of the Treatment
- Freud and the Technique of Psychoanalysis
Seminar 2, 2018
- Hysteria and Obsessional Neurosis
Seminar 1, 2018
- The Psychoses: Reading Lacan’s Seminar III
- The Unconscious from Freud to Lacan
A cartel is a small study and research group of 3 to 5 members who elect to work together and choose a ‘plus one’ to lead and animate the life of the cartel, with an aim to produce a material output of high quality. The Lacan Circle has a number of registered cartels, and new groups form spontaneously and continuously. Cartels are free and open to anyone with an interest. The Lacan Circle hosts biannual Cartel Presentation Days – the next will be held in November 2021.
The Lacan Circle host two ongoing weekly reading groups. We are currently part-way through Jacques Lacan’s Seminar IV The Object Relation, and about to begin Freud’s The Interpretation of Dreams. Lacan Circle reading groups are free, entirely on-line, and open to anyone with an interest.
The Lacan Circle read every line of Jacques Lacan’s Seminar III The Psychoses during 2020-2021.
September 2021 Thomas Svolos in Conversation: The Aims of Analysis in the Late Lacan
Thomas Svolos discussed his analysis and his work as an analyst with reference to his recently published work The Aims of Analysis: Miami Seminar on the Late Lacan. The recording is available here
August 2021 Bataille with Lacan: Tim Themi on Eroticizing the Aesthetic
Tim Themi’s open conversation with the Lacan Circle about his just published work Eroticizing Aesthetics: In the Real with Bataille and Lacan. The recording is available here
July 2021 The Autistic Subject: Leon Brenner in Conversation
Leon Brenner, author of the recently published The Autistic Subject: On the Threshold of Language, joined the Lacan Circle for an interview and open conversation. The recording is available here
Lacan Circle Study Days have paused during the pandemic.
- Narcissism in our Time
- The Direction of the Treatment – Students of Lacan respond to themes recently studied
- Unlimited Enjoyments and The Real Unconscious
- Politics and Psychoanalysis
- There Is No Sexual Relation – Psychoanalytic Reflections on Love, Sex and Gender
- Lacan’s Seminars Applied – Students of the Lacan Circle respond to recent themes
- Welcome to the Lacan Circle and the 2018 Program
- Divine Erotics: Psychoanalysis and Religion
- The Children of Psychoanalysis: From Little Hans to Lacan’s ‘Note on the Child’
- Love and the Sexual Non-relation
- Families, Couples and Children in a Hypermodern World
- Segregation and Identity
- The Postmodern Family
- Jacques Alain Miller and The Very Final Lacan
- Applied Psychoanalysis – From Le Courtil to the CPCT
Two-day International Conference July 2020
Sexuation: Between Desire and Jouissance
Keynotes: Sophie Marret and Jean-Claude Maleval, France, and with presentations by international Lacanian analysts and associates. Cancelled due to coronavirus
Two-day International Conference July 2019
The Real Unconscious
Keynote: Alexandre Stevens, vice-president of the New Lacanian School, Analyst Member of the New Lacanian School and of the Ecole de la Cause freudienne (ECF). He is the founder and therapeutic director of Le Courtil, an institution for the psychoanalytic treatment of children located in Belgium; and former president of the NLS and the ECF. With presentations by Lacanian analysts and associates, including: Jane Kent, David Westcombe, Mia Lalanne, Dan Collins, Russell Grigg, Grace Tarpey, Jonathan Redmond, David Westcombe, David Ferraro, Robin Adler and Kate Briggs.
Two-day International Conference July 2018
The Late Lacan
Keynote: Stijn Vanheule, Professor of Psychoanalysis, University of Ghent, member of the New Lacanian School, author of The Subject of Psychosis: A Lacanian Perspective, Diagnosis and the DSM and Psychiatric Diagnosis Revisited. With presentations by members of the Lacan Circle of Australia, including: Kate Briggs, David Ferraro, Russell Grigg, Lizzy Newman, Jonathan Redmond, Joanna Shemansky, Grace Tarpey and David Westcombe. Keynote recording available here
Colloquium February 2019
Urgent Questions! Urgent Cases!
Keynote: Bernard Seynhaeve, President of the New Lacanian School, Analyst Member of the New Lacanian School and of the Ecole de la Cause Freudienne and former director of Le Courtil, an institution for the psychoanalytic treatment of children located in Belgium. With presentations by members of the Lacan Circle of Australia, including: Kate Briggs, David Ferraro, Russell Grigg, Lizzy Newman, Jonathan Redmond, Joanna Shemansky, Grace Tarpey and David Westcombe.
Open Forum August 2018
Sexual Identity, Desire and Jouissance – and other ideas to live by
Special guest speaker: Mari Ruti, author of ‘The Emotional Costs of Everyday Life’